Thursday, November 13, 2008

Things We Can Control

I suppose trouble has been a constant companion of the world since Eve gave birth to Cain and Abel. As I've studied ancient and medieval history along with the kids, I've certainly learned that struggle, and strife, wars, diseases, and famines go along with every civilization that ever was. I look around me, and I see that it is certainly the case with our place in time. The state of the continent of Africa in the last 15 years alone could provide enough hardship, trouble, warfare, famine, sickness, and poverty to fill volumes. The state of our own country's economic entity has everyone worried. And thanks to the media, every thing that ever existed that would cause fear is broadcasted in detail, from the number of dust mites (or whatever they are) that feed on your eyelash junk, to the state of the nations water supply, to the deadly gene you are undoubtedly carrying and you don't even know it.

Aren't you glad there are some things we can control? Here are two that I'm grateful for:

Our own homes. Ikea proclaims: "Home is the most important place in the world." I couldn't agree more. Home is the place. You control the music. You control what kind of food is prepared and served. You control the temperature. You control the emotional climate. You say when the t.v. is on and what kind of programming is being watched. You are the decorator. You establish the level of cleanliness. You decide what comes in, and what goes out.


Our tempers and reactions to others.
Determining our own answer to someone else's behavior is a blessing. And I'm glad that I have the choice. Anger that is out of control is at best unproductive, and at worst, damaging to ourselves and others. Choosing to become offended, also, is fruitless and can damage relationships. We should, if we can, choose to let people say what they need to say, and if they have some problem with us (or our kids!), well, it's their problem. That they can deal with. And we can peacefully move on with our lives. I'm pretty hard to offend. Really, you have to be trying to hurt my feelings. However, say something that is the opposite of complimentary about my kids, even if it was meant well, and you will risk bringing out the mother-monster. And I'm sure you're all familiar with her. It's something that I've actively had to work towards; letting things roll off my back that involve my children. But it's the same principle as ignoring those who have a problem with me. (It's just so much harder!) (For me.).

As the drama and toil of the world tumbles and heaves and threatens to make us feel debilitated against the tide of fear, we can take comfort in our own power. The power to create a haven and to rule and reign a home for ourselves and those we love, and the power to rise above the trivial (and even the not so trivial) irritations and clashes of human relationships. And I thank God for these gifts.



About the Artwork

William Bougeureau (1825 – 1905) created a lush fantasy realm filled with idealized mythological figures, angels, women and children. His masterful command of human form, delicate colors and enchanted light brought the souls and spirits of his subjects to life with captivating realism. A tireless worker, he created 800 life-size works whose unique style and subjects drew an enthusiastic following of students and imitators. A member of the French Academy, he singlehandedly opened it to women.




4 comments:

Emily said...

I love this, and I love it when you post your thoughts. Your mind is fascinating. I've actually been thinking lately that I need to be more active in creating my environment. I feel like I let life happen to me too often rather than orchestrating more of my environment. I think I will sit down and write a blueprint of my home. I wish I had thousands of dollars to redecorate to make more homey and inviting, but that is obviously not happening. So, I think the blueprint will be just what you said - What I want in and out and see to it that it happens. Thanks for the inspiration!

Emily said...

p.s. More than ever, I am wishing I had the guts to homeschool. It isn't that I'm that displeased with my son's school, it's just that it would be wonderful to teach my kids what I want them to know - what I deem important. I wish...

Andrea said...

I found your blog through Cellista's and I love it! This is so true. It is so comforting to know that there are things we can control in this crazy changing world. No matter what is going on in the world outside, home can always be a haven of peace. Thanks for sharing this!

Angela said...

This is such a great post! I want to print this off and reread it- You should really post more, you are so inspirational.