Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Wow. Another Movie?


Any fans of British period romance dramas out there? If you loved Pride and Prejudice produced by the BBC with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, you will want to marry North and South. It's almost blasphemy, but I liked this better than Pride and Prejudice! Girls. Listen to my words. Rent this movie now! And unlike the last movie I recommended, I'll be darned if your husband doesn't get drawn into the story as well.
This movie is based on a book by Elizabeth Gaskell. I've never read the book or any of Gaskell's other works, but I'm going to fix that and fast. Going beyond romance, this movie explores the class/social system in a northern England cotton mill town, and the good people who can be found on both sides of a difficult and delicate labor dispute. As well done as the labor/management conflict story is, it is still the most romantic movie I have ever seen. Perfect for curling up on the couch with your hot beverage of choice and getting lost in another time and place. If you haven't seen it, you are in for a treat. Please SOMEBODY! Rent and watch this movie so I can talk about it with someone!

6 comments:

wenderful said...

OK, I just put it in my Netflix queue. Thanks for the heads up. I'll let you know what I think after I see it.
How is homeschooling going???

JaneGS said...

If you really want to chat about North and South, I invite you over to the Republic of Pembeley (http://www.pemberley.com/). There's currently a long thread on the Virtual Views board about the movie, and there are many threads, archived and current (I think) on the Library board. It's one of my favorite books and movies, these days. And I blogged on it extensively in Nov. Welcome to the Gaskell crowd :)

Anonymous said...

If you really want to chat and know more about North and South, I strongly recommend you to join C19, the widest and best space to talk about Richard Armitage, N&S, period dramas and much, much more.
http://c19.proboards53.com/
Hope to meet you soon there.

Laura Essendine said...

I agree. Even better than P&P and probably the best thing the BBC have ever done. Watch all 4 hours in one go with chocolate, wine and tissues on the side. Absolutely wonderful.

Laura Essendine
Author – The Accidental Guru
The Books Limited Blog

Angela said...

I am going to get this for this weekend- Then we can chit chat about it! Thanks for the tips- I love it!

wenderful said...

OK, I watched the first DVD and loved it. The second just came from Netflix. I think I'll watch it tonight. It was REALLY well done. I really like the guy. Not super excited about the woman in the lead. But the story is fabulous!