Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Doing the Best You Can


A few months ago, James and I were talking and he asked me to come up with a way to track our scripture study and prayer over a period of years. He wanted something that would look good on our wall. The photo above is what I came up with. I gave him this calendar for Christmas and he loved it. We started using it at the beginning of January and we've had family prayer and scripture study every day since!
I wish I could say that reading and praying every day has made this huge miraculous difference in our lives. The truth is, I find myself just muddling through, putting one step in front of the other, and doing the best I can. We have a cabin on a river in northern Idaho. I love to swim upstream in the river. I swim like the wind, not even taking time to take a breath. Then, I stop, stand up and look around. I'm in the same exact place that I started.
That's how I feel about life sometimes.
You can run, and drive, and fix, and cook, and teach, and soothe, and improvise, and fold laundry like there's no tomorrow, and sometimes at the end of the day you're left wondering what all the effort is all about and what you've really accomplished.
Doing the best you can sounds so noble, doesn't it? It sounds like you would be zooming through the sky with fireworks shooting from your feet, astonishing the world with your abilities if you did the best you could. The cold hard truth is that a lot of the time, doing your best isn't much. Often, doing your best isn't very graceful. Or inspiring. At times it isn't elegant or polished. Usually, doing your best just means that you didn't do your worst. There are days when you're glad the world couldn't look through your window and see what your best was that day, because it definitely wouldn't astonish anyone.
However, I've come to appreciate the "just muddling through". I believe in the power of putting one step in front of the other. I've been reading about David in the Old Testament lately. I can't get the tragedy of his story from my mind. "There is a lesson there", I keep thinking. I've decided that the lesson, at least for me, is to be found doing the things you said you would be doing. What was David doing out of bed looking at his neighbors in the middle of the night? Why was Bathsheba bathing on the roof in the middle of the night? Why did David ask his servants who she was? The lesson is to be found doing the right things, at the right time, in the right place. These choices seem so small, but eventually they led to adultery and ultimately to murder. What does all this have to do with doing your best? If you're doing your best, even if it's a little tiny best, you can still be found on the path. You will still be making progress, even if it's an inch at a time.
So while my best doesn't impress, it doesn't awe, it doesn't sing and shout, I'm still on the path, putting one foot in front of the other, and I can be found right where I said I would be, doing (even in a small way) what I said I would be doing.

13 comments:

Hosszu said...

Dear Kristy,
I accidentally came across your blog and just wanted to let you know that I was encouraged! Thank you and God bless you!

Kassie said...

Hi, delurking here to tell you that I appreciated what you wrote. I totally understand how you feel, as most of my days are similar.
I'd love to know how you made your calendar and what the little hearts say, if you felt like sharing.

Have a happy day!

Anonymous said...

Kristy, Thanks for your amazing thoughts. I think we all feel the same way, I just wish I could express it as elegantly as you did! I'm so glad you told me about you're blog. You really are such an example and do sooo much more than you think.
Tami

Lindsay said...

Wow, again and again and again I will tell you that I love what you have to say. AMEN to everything you just wrote. I really wish you would write more so I could read "The Inspiring Kristy Blog" each day.

Emily said...

Thank you so much. That was so beautifully put. I have pondered that story so many times, and I greatly appreciate your thoughts. Sometimes, when I'm swimming upstream, I get sick of the fight and quit for a few seconds, then I realize that I'm even further away from my target. I love that analogy, and you've inspired me to keep swimming, even if I'm in the same spot. At least I'm not further than before.

Anonymous said...

I cannot agree more with that feeling. Some days that I pray are worse than the ones I don't, I wonder what's the point. But you are right, you don't know how far back you could end up if you don't try, even if the results aren't seen.
And I am so glad you finally shared your calendar.

Unknown said...

Kristy, you have a great way with words. I love reading your blog. It is so inspiring. I totally relate to swimming upstream and not seeing progress. Hope to see you out and about soon.

Andrew Lambert said...

Robin and I were having this conversation last night. It seems that however hard we try, we can't seem to keep our house as clean as we want it. We can't seem to get as consistent about scripture study, FHE and going to the temple as we know we should. It's frustrating not to see progress as we'd like to see. But my feeling is that if we don't keep trying swim upstream, we'll get swept down the stream and may end up being injured or drowning. So keep fighting the "good fight."

Anonymous said...

Kristy, you are a sage. You're right, I think that we feel that doing our best should bring forth fireworks and superman-like feats of miraculous proportions. But a lot of the time, doing our best is just keeping our head above water. That's kind of how I feel right now. I think we just need to remember that to everything there is a season. Life is not like the SAT: we don't have only three hours to answer a multitude of questions upon which our whole future could depend. We have to deal with life one situation, one decision, one crisis at a time. Sometimes we'll mess up. Sometimes we'll excel. Most of the time, we'll do okay. Thanks your for inspiring remarks.

Kassie said...

Kristy,
I'm honored that you would want to put my blog on your blog roll. Of course you can. Looking forward to more about the calendar.

Jen-ben said...

I love that!!!!

A and R said...

That was really cool. Thanks for sharing!

Amber

Carissa said...

I really like your blog! I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who feels like I'm "just muddling through" a lot of the time. Thanks!