Tuesday, March 04, 2008

I Have Something I Need to Get Off My Chest...

Okay. The self loathing and anxiety attacks every time thank-you notes are mentioned need to end. Here it is:

I DIDN'T SEND THANK YOU NOTES AFTER MY WEDDING!

How tacky. How ungrateful. How rude. How thoughtless. How lazy.

James and I were overwhelmed by the kindness of every one who attended our wedding and brought gifts. We were so appreciative of those gifts and the friendship of everybody who gave. Why then, didn't we take the time to send out thank-you cards? I have no good answer.

Despicable, isn't it?

6 comments:

Jen-ben said...

NEITHER DID I!!!! I did a few and then...
enough said.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Glad you got that of your chest. What a burden to be carrying for 10 years.

I think it's a lot to ask for newlyweds to be filling out thank you cards, they're to busy getting busy!

Lindsay said...

You make me laugh, despicable to some - but not to a lot of others. Don't worry about it.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that everyone who gave you a gift has been bearing a grudge in their heart against you for ten years....not! Thank you cards a nice thought, but it's one of those formalities that most people don't really notice or care about. I DID write all the thank you notes from my wedding, and 90% of them were to people I had never met and would probably never meet again (mostly people my parents and in-laws knew). I think we should put up a big sign as people come into the reception "Thank you everybody, for your gifts!" and call it good!

Emily said...

How funny that you've been married for 10 years and you are still haunted by this. I made sure I sent cards to all the people that I knew would really care (like all of my grandmother's friends and relatives). So funny the things we worry about. This did make me laugh, though. And I hope you're able to finally let go of the guilt!

Anonymous said...

We sent ours out, but almost a year after we got married. And yeah, a lot of the people I didn't even know, some had even died by then. There were tons of baby gift thank yous I felt I should send and never did, but oh my word, I had a new baby to take care of! So I'm not beating myself up over it.