Friday, December 21, 2007

The Return of Victoria


I still remember the first time I discovered Victoria magazine. I went to the orthodontists office with my friend Jaycee when we were about 15. While she was getting her teeth worked on, I flipped through magazines in the waiting room. I picked up one with a beautiful photograph on it. I opened it and was astounded. There was an entire magazine devoted to the Victorian era?! A magazine for freaks like me who desperately wanted to travel back in time and wear those beautiful dresses, and live in a mansion that looked like a gingerbread house! A magazine filled with hair-do's from the past, food from the past, clothes, home decor and books, ALL FROM THE PAST!!!! I read the magazine faithfully for years until one month it inexplicably disappeared. Years went by with no Victoria.
Fast forward to last month. I stumbled across someone's blog and she happened to mention that Victoria mag was back! James surprised me with a full year subscription for Christmas and it came yesterday in the mail. He let me see it, because, he figured, it would be dumb to read the Christmas issue after Christmas was over. So, the above picture is what I did last night. I consumed an entire box of Godiva chocolates and read Victoria cover to cover. I enjoyed myself thoroughly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you, I am glad you had a great night, and that your hubby gave you a sweet surprise for christmas.

Anonymous said...

Hello, I found your blog this morning. I recently (ok, yesterday) decided to start using my journal here again and had to resign up. When I clicked on "Stay At Home Mother" next to Occupation in the profile (just to see where the link took me) your blog came up and we have several interests in common, so I came over to check it out.

I loved Victoria magazine when I was in high school. I didn't know it had gone out of business though. I moved on to Better Homes and Gardens once I got married and started homemaking. But that part of my life that loved Victoria and things Victorian and 19th century never went away. Wow. I must go look for a copy soon and see how it compares. :)

We also homeschool. I have a 6 (almost 7) and 3 year old. My daughter (the 6 yr old) has special needs so our journey is an interesting one, but I guess everyone's journey is too in it's own way.

I look forward to reading more of your entries. I found myself commenting to myself on every post you have on your main page, but this is the only one I have formally answered.

Take care and early Merry Christmas! Michelle