Monday, January 04, 2010

Women's Liberation


I guess I've always been a swirling mix of feminist and traditional woman. As a child I liked to imagine myself as a princess, and I daydreamed of wearing dresses all the time. One year in elementary school, I did wear a dress every day. I was trying to become Anne of Green Gables. I also played football with Jeremy Reynolds, Stuart Hart, Shaun Bergin and any other boy that showed up in Jeremy's back yard. I was faster than them all, too.
I believed wholeheartedly in time travel, and knew that if I just found the portal, I could go back in time to when women were ladies, drank their tea, and oversaw the home. I also wanted to be a lawyer like the women on "LA Law".
As I grew older, I knew that what I really wanted to do was be a wife and mother. If I happened onto a job that I liked in addition to that, well, fine, but I mainly wanted what I have now.
I've always liked to joke that I was born in the wrong century. It's true that I dislike the vulgarity, ugly clothes, ugly buildings and general nastiness of our day. But there are so many wonderful things about being a woman right now.
I've read so many books and seen so many period movies that underline the fact that women simply weren't free to live as they pleased. If a single woman became impoverished, but still wished to remain a lady, her options were to marry well, or to become a governess. Maybe a couple of other options, but really that's about it. And what if she did marry well, and she discovered her husband was a monster? Well, she was simply trapped, as far as I've read. Denying anyone freedom to conduct their lives is simply wrong. It doesn't matter if we agree with the way they live or not.
I feel that mothers are best at home. Anyone who reads this blog can see that plainly. But, I'm glad that there is freedom there for women who feel they must be out in the world for whatever reason. I'm relieved for them that they do not suffer social ostracism for it. I'm glad I live in the time that I do. I still think I'd go back in time, if I could...but I'm learning to appreciate the liberation of modern times.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

Hey, welcome back!

Robin said...

Good points! I feel that we are at a unique point in history when any option is open to women. I can go to work, or I can stay at home. I have never been one of those people who only wanted to stay at home. I understand the importance of it for the sake of my children, but for my own sake, I do plan to have a career when my children are all in school. Fortunately, I have felt both situations to be equally supported by my friends and family.

As for the dresses, I totally get that. I actually got a long-sleeve, victorian style blouse and long skirt when I was like 14 because it looked like something out of Anne of Green Gables. I was not particularly fashion conscious at that age!

Momtothreebabies said...

Good morning Kristy! I need you to email me... the lds homeschool book is here and finished!! I need to send you your copy and your whopping measly payment, hahaha!!!
Love, JL Kaylor
jaelleerica@yahoo.com
Have an awesome day!!!

Emily said...

Oh Kristy...I have missed you so. When you write, it's like you dip your pen in my head, draw out my thoughts, and write them down so beautifully.

And what girl didn't want to be Anne-with-an-E?!?