Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Halloween Complaints

Complaint #1:

I'm longing for a good old fashioned Halloween. One where children actually walk door to door and go good old fashioned trick or treating(GOFTOT). Not walking from car trunk to car trunk in a very small parking lot. Goodness. Are we so lazy that we can't get out in the neighborhood and meet our neighbors? Is walking around the block really that big of a deal? Is it unsafe somehow to go GOFTOT, even if you are RIGHT THERE with your kids and there is no possibility of them getting snatched? This is just one more reason why we as a nation are raising a generation of coddled pantywaists. Who invented these things anyway? Heaven forbid our darlings get any exercise in the form of trolling the 'hood for treats. And don't EVEN get me started on trick or treating at the mall. That is just wrong in so many ways.

Complaint # 2:

Why, when you go to the Halloween store to buy a costume for yourself, are all the women costumes slutty? Wait, wait, don't tell me. Because a man designed them?

Disclaimer:
We attended a trunk or treat last night and had a blast. Of course, there were games, and lots of hanging out getting to know each other beforehand AND, it didn't replace GOFTOT.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know the whole reason I read your blog is for great phrases such as "coddled pantywaists." Cool verbage, man.

Anyway, I soooo agree. One year, our ward had a trunk or treat, and it was over in like twenty minutes. It was actually on Halloween, and we didn't get more than three trick or treaters afterwards at our house the whole night. But that didn't stop our kids from trick or treating in other neighborhoods that hadn't already expended all their candy! The magic of Halloween is in going around AFTER DARK, from door to door. And, in a couple more years, doing so without your parents! I think I was in 5th grade the first time my parents let me go out alone with my friends. Does that sound a little young? Or is that about right?

By the way, have you read the Free Range Kids blog? They have an interesting post there about how there has never been any actual recorded history of children being poisoned by candy on Halloween, and puts down other "scary" Halloween urban legens, such as your actual chance of being murdered by a serial killer. There's a link to it on my blog, if you're interested.

Emily said...

You inspired me to post my own "Halloween Laments" post tonight. It's been on my mind for a while, and I am right there with you.

Oh, and Disneyland, I never, ever, in a million, trillion years wanted to take my kids there. But, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had made it out to be in my head. My kids were bright-eyed, excited, and actually got along quite well. We told them they could have one (ONE) thing to bring home, and they never argued with us. It really was a lot of fun, and I was extremely pleasantly surprised.

Anonymous said...

I hope you go door to door tonight and have an excellent time! We will here. No trunk or treat for us this year. :)

Kodelle said...

I really dislike trunk or treats as well. They take all the magic out of the holiday. What are we so afraid of? When I was young the kids and the parents (at least the mothers, the fathers were home handing out the candy) traveled in packs roaming the neighborhood and screaming "trick or treat." It was a blast.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this one. Why would we possibly want to get any exercise while collecting free candy calories? Unfortunately we did end up at our trunk or treat which was ON Halloween night because they specifically requested dh there with his patrol car to keep the peace. We did go trick or treating after though, and now I'm looking at this enormous pile of candy. Usually I rely on cold weather and little legs tired of walking to keep our haul down. It was nice that it was so warm though.