Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Buffet of My Thoughts


It's like going to Chuck-A-Rama today. You get to pick and choose which one of my random thoughts you like and want to chew on for a while. Enjoy the smorgasbord of confusion:

First off; Okay, we get it!! Football is serious. Practice is every evening from 5:45 to 8pm. Except Sundays, thank goodness! Otherwise: "IT'S GOD OR FOOTBALL, PEOPLE!!" If your son is puking, and he doesn't feel up to tackling, or you run late for a practice because you can't locate your son, expect a phone call from the coach. Toto, we're not in soccer anymore.

Next; Why was Henry VIII such a butt? Seriously? Six wives? Focus on something besides producing a male heir you doofus. Like maybe appreciating your awesome first wife, Catherine of Aragon who was like, the smartest woman alive at the time.

Third; James and I have read these amazing books. They are called For Men Only and For Women Only. They are companion books written by a husband and wife team. I've always thought that I understood men pretty well. But. Holy cow was I wrong. Seriously? My jaw just dropped. Especially while I was reading the chapter called "The Visual Rolodex". James was equally astounded. We kept asking each other "Is this true??" I highly, highly recommend these books. I've always felt that James and I had a fantastic marriage, but these books opened up a whole new world. Give them a shot.

Next; I turned 32 on the 4th. Happy birthday to me.

Next; camping is a lot less fun, now that I'm the mom and not the kid.

Next; If you do not own a window squeegee you need to take care of that, and fast. I bought this little beauty a few months ago, and kids, cleaning windows is a blast now. And so speedy. And you don't even need soap! And there are really no streaks!! And you don't waste paper towels!!! (Inhaling, exhaling). Just go buy one, okay?

Next; my blog is really really dumb.

Next; You know what is making me really sad right now? The fact that my family is hostile to homeschooling. It's dangerous to rant on your family on your public blog, but I'm gonna anyway. Apparently, a couple of my family members ambushed James and staged a full scale intervention. They think that homeschooling is a bad idea. They think he should make me stop. You know what bugs me the worst? It's that they didn't come to me. (Okay, I'm kind of glad they didn't). But seriously, it's like they're scared to ask me anything about it. They don't ask what we're studying, they don't ask how it's going, they don't ask where we get our materials...all of the stuff that people usually ask...and they are just silent. And this is my family! It's like they're afraid to ask, because then, they might have to think it's cool. And if homeschooling is cool, well, that's gonna change the way they view their whole world. They might have to open their minds. (They think that their minds are already open, because they are liberal democrats, but their minds are closed to anything that they don't agree with. Like homeschooling. Just to name a random example.) They might have to admit that they were wrong.

Next; I hope that the above rant doesn't kick me out of my family.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great photo!! and Happy Happy Birthday! I hope it was great. :)

I'm so sorry your family is having issues and being hostile and yet won't talk to you about it. That stinks.
And now I know I don't want a child in football, and I really need one of those squeegee things, my windows are filthy. Of course the rest of my house isn't so hot at the moment either. And I totally agree with you on camping!
Write a random post, get a random comment!
Have a great week!

Emily said...

Amen on the camping! Happy Birthday! I'll reserve those books immediately at the library. Your blog is not lame! I love reading your thoughts. You have an amazing mind, and I am always enlightened and get a good laugh when I visit your blog.

So sorry about the homeschool thing. I think it is absolutely amazing, and I wish I had the guts to do it. I don't know about you, but I find it very, very difficult to be the one person not doing "the norm." It is so hard to explain to people that it is just the best thing for your family without going into a ton of explanations and justifications. Plain and simple - You have to do what works for you. I think you are incredible, and it sounds like your kids are having an equally incredible school experience. Good luck with that one!

Anonymous said...

Oh I loved my tastes at this buffet. Great post. I just love hearing your thoughts. I will definitedly have to check out the books and the squeegee (i'm way to lazy to check my spelling on this but i'm sure it's wrong).

I really had no idea that football was so intense. I was talking with kel about it on saturday and when he said practice everyday, wow. But he loves it, thats great.

Camping has lost it's luster but you have to admit that heber is a bit of an exeption to that right?

Sorry about the homeschooling. I certainly don't know how you do it, but I know for sure that you are good at it, and your kids are all the better for it. You are amazing and I'm glad you are doing it because you feel like it's the right thing for you guys. Go Girl, you Rock!!

and Happy Happy Birthday! I love you!

Anonymous said...

couldn't resist checking my spelling with yours and it's the same so I must be right.

Yea, me!

Lindsay said...

I want to read those books. Keep up the homeschooling, I think it's awesome you are able to do it, and if you get kicked out of your family - you have another one right around the corner. And your blog is not stupid, stupid...

Anonymous said...

Here's a little pick-me-up for you: For the record, from what I have seen on your blog and what I have talked with you about, I think that the education you are giving your children is definitely equal if not superior to what my children are getting in public school. The quality of a child's education more than anything depends upon the quality of the teacher, whether that teacher works for a school district, a private school, is a private tutor, or is their mother. From what I have seen, you are as qualified and organized and dedicated as any teacher my children have ever had. I applaud that you are willing to commit yourself to this task; I certainly don't have the skills to do it myself. Good job, you are awesome!

In other random areas: I'll check out the books--you'd think being married for 11 years, you'd work out all the kinks, but there are always more to work on. Camping: wholeheartedly agree! Actually, I love everything about camping except for the (not)sleeping part. And the packing part. And the burnt eggs in the morning part. The squeegee--I tried one, and it didn't work very well. I must have had a cheapee one. Maybe I'll have to try it out again. Thanks for your random thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! You're back! I missed reading your thoughts.
Happy Birthday. You are such a youngin'. I hope it was fun.
Sounds like great books. I will see if I can find them. I have a stack of books I need to get through, mostly homeschool teacher's manuals. I'm a procrastinator. But I will try and add those to my pile.
I hope your family stops being judgemental about your school choice. I think mine are kind of that way although they do it silently. It's very hard being the only one doing something different. I struggle with whether or not I'm doing the right thing. But I always come to the same conclusion that yes, this is what is right for us right now. Just know that you are the only one who knows what's best for your kids. You are the only who gets to make the call. Your family will see what great people your kids will grow up to be.
Glad you're back.