Saturday, July 05, 2008

War Buddies


On June 26th, James and I celebrated our ten year anniversary. I did a little "ten days of our anniversary" thing for James, (like the twelve days of Christmas). For one of the gifts, I wrote him a letter, and as I was writing to him, trying to think of all these lovely little romantic things to say, I realized that being married for ten years (if you're raising kids), is less like a romantic comedy, and more like a war drama.
Don't you all feel this way too? When you look at your husbands, don't you see the man who has carried you on his shoulders through the battlefields of motherhood? You see the man that at times, you've had to drag by his heels through the killing fields of fatherhood. I know that throughout the ten years, I've had so many moments of being overwhelmed, and feeling like I'm going to die for the sake of being a wife and a mother. I've been on the brink of a freak-out many times. As has he with respect to being a father and all that that includes! Ups and downs in jobs, feeling like we're going to kill our kids, and then wanting to die of guilt because we snapped and yelled at them...we've both done it. And we've both saved each others lives along the way. And we've always been united in a great cause, like all good soldiers are. The cause of raising a family and doing it well is the greatest war effort there is.
At the end of the day, we collapse on the couch (or wherever we happen to be standing after the kids are put to bed), and we look at each other, astounded at what we've had to endure for the sake of the cause. But so grateful that we have each other. No one told me when we joined the army, that I'd have to clean poop off of every solid surface in my two year old son's room the VERY FIRST DAY that my war buddy went off to fight other battles in the office just days after I gave birth to my second recruit. Nobody told James, when he was drafted, that he'd be kissing his wife goodbye, as a sexual being, for at least six months after each of the recruits were born, or that he would be waiting alone at the end of a hospital hallway facing the fragile mortality of his unborn daughter, and his hemorrhaging wife.
There has been joy, pride, comedy, and much happiness too, knowing that we're fighting the good fight, and raising wonderful people. Like all good war buddies, we rely on each other, trust each other with our lives, love each other, and serve each other.


Here's to another great ten years!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Kristy - I love you so much! I've been reading this out loud to my husband, and we've both been laughing. You should write a book! I love this analogy! We rarely get to the movies anymore (maybe 2 a year), but we Redbox quite a few. Often, when I watch a Romantic Comedy, I think the same thing! Even if it is a cute movie - it's not like "real" life where everything revolves around a newborns bowel movements, kool-aid is the beverage of choice and not a fine wine, and I'm pretty sure I've never seen a movie where there is a nice, romantic sex scene with a screaming preschooler pounding on the locked bedroom door. I'm pretty sure the words "Let her cry...I'll hurry" are never going to be spoken by Matthew McConaughey to Kate Hudson.

Yep...You've definitely got it right. Real life is definitely more like an epic war movie. Sometimes, I even go days without showering! :-) It sounds like you've got a fabulous war buddy and someone who is really there for you. I just think the world of you and your little family. You are fighting the good fight, and in all reality, there are several mornings when I wake up and feel like I'm going into battle - protecting my children from "the world." Every day I'm trying to keep them innocent while they are young, and trying to wisely teach tough, but correct principles that will help them live an honest, productive life while serving others and preparing to meet God. Every once in a while, I try to throw in a little fun and laughter. You really are doing a great work!

Congratulations on 10 years!

Fauset Photography said...

Ah I loved this too! It's so so true! I don't think I would have believed someone had they told me all of this the day I was married. But going through all the crap really does build your relationship so much deeper. Thanks for that, it was awesome!

Lindsay said...

Congrats! I love you guys, thanks always for your deep thoughts, that turn a light bulb on in my head.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I've missed your posts. That was awesome. Very much the truth. You have a great way with words. I wonder which is harder. Marriage/parenthood or war.

Jacqui said...

I have been snooping on your blog for awhile now. I linked you through Jen, and she also just sent me your blog address because I am checking out homeschooling. I'm in UT, too. I'd love to chat or email, if you have a sec: jjaoee@gmail.com. jacquiandjeff.blogspot.com

THANKS!I am impressed with your curriculum and lifestyle.

Angela said...

What a great post- I know exactly what you are talking about! It is total battle at this house! Thanks for a very inspiring read!