Sunday, March 16, 2008

My Whole Life Story

In an attempt to take everyone to new heights (or is it new lows) of boredom, I've decided to post my life story every week. The reason I'm really doing this is that I've been meaning to write my personal history on Sundays and now I'm going to do it. It seems like a pretty good Sabbath activity.

This post will be about a couple of my ancestors and what they mean to me. The photo above is George Wallace Armstrong, my Great Grandfather on my dad's mom's side. I love this photo. That was his football uniform at the University of Idaho in Moscow. It looks like the football pads were built right into his pants.

His mom gave birth to 16 children, 15 of whom lived past their youth. I can imagine her in her homestead on the farm sitting down probably for the first time that day to answer the questions of the census enumerator. Sixteen kids. And this is before all the housekeeping helpers we have now. Imagining her workload just scrambles my brain.

On my mom's side, there is a branch of the family whose last name is Lindsay. They were from Scotland. The father, William Lindsay, and the sons worked in the lead mines.

"Oft times in the winter time we scarcely ever saw the daylight except on Sunday. We were in the mine before daylight and didn't get out until after dark. In the spring of 1861 we moved into the town of Kilmarnock and were there only a few months when our dear and loving father was killed by a large stone falling on him. Brother James and I had left him all right and were gone about thirty minutes and returned to find him dead. We were two frightened little boys and in our haste to get help our light was knocked out to make it more terrible. This was a dreadful time for all of us especially our dear mother. Our home where peace and love had always reigned supreme was turned to one of sorrow. It seemed all our hopes of ever getting to Utah were blasted. Some of our friends, mostly LDS members, aided us at this time and our dear father was buried in St. Andrew's Churchyard in Kilmarnock....
(me at St. Andrew's where William was buried in Scotland)

for a time we were so grieved we were at a loss which way to turn. But mother did not give way to despair and said to us boys, 'Never mind, we will get to the Valley yet on the very first ship next spring.' ...The words came true...but it was the emigration fund of the Mormon Church that got us here. Then the word came giving us notice to sell everything not needed and to be in Liverpool by the 21st of April, 1862 to go on board the sailing ship John J. Boyd, where passage had been secured for our whole family of eight children and mother. Some people have quite a trial in leaving their friends and their relatives and native land but we were happy in having the privilege to do so."
When I have a difficult day and my spirits are low, sometimes I think of these women, my ancestors. Mary Elizabeth Armstrong, who cooked for, sewed for, cleaned for, taught, and raised 15 children on a farm. And Christina Howie Lindsay who had to bury her husband in Scotland and then take eight children by herself on a 39-day sea voyage to New York and then over the plains and mountains to Heber, Utah. When I think I'll never pull through my trials I sometimes remember them and think "Their blood runs into mine...I'm made of the same stuff that they were...I can get through this...this is nothing, don't make them ashamed to call me their posterity."



9 comments:

Tammy said...

This will be a great addition to your already great blog!

Our LDS ancestors went through so much for their faith. What a great inspiration they are!

Emily said...

Very inspiring. I'm a big history buff, and I truly love reading old journals. I agree with you - how can I complain! I can't imagine going through some of their trials. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! and what an awesome post! I love ancestor stories and I am truly humbled by some of the ones I have. I wonder how I can possibly complain somedays.

I also like the cemetery photo. We went to Halifax, Nova Scotia, in September to do research and find the grave of DH's first ancestor from England. It was an amazing experience. I should post about it sometime.

Thanks for sharing this :)

Anonymous said...

Great idea. Your kids will be so grateful to have this written down.

Lindsay said...

That is so cool, I didn't know you had Lindsay's, it's a great name if I do say so myself.

And seriously if you do what you said you were thinking of doing yesterday I will be so mad at you!

Anonymous said...

Yes, of course you can blog about your favorite things! I would love to hear them.

Wasn't that a great show? I ran out and bought it! I love the "pigface song" That reminds me of our family. Seems like something we would do. Can't you just hear Daren and James singing now?

I know Rocket Dogs is an interesting name to say the least. But great shoes. I don't think they make you fart ;)

And Linds comment has me intrigued... you miss one sunday and then you miss the good stuff!

Angela said...

This is a great idea- You have just really inspired me to do something I have only done on paper! What a great way to maximize the blog and your children will call you blessed! I am not sure what mine will say..tee hee

Ryan said...

Kristy, we must be distant cousins as I was searching for more information about William Lindsay and came across your blog. I am curious to know whether you were able to locate William Lindsay's gravesite in St. Andrews churchyard, and whether you were able to see any other sites of interest while in Scotland. I'm jealous and would love to hear more.

Jacob and Kalli Hiller said...

Hi I just visited the graveyard at St Andrews as well. The church is now an apartment complex. I could not find the grave. Any other distant cousins feel free to contact me!