Sunday, January 25, 2009

Thanks


Thank you so much everybody for your responses, opinions, and advice. Summer, thank you for your thoughts about homeschooling and your support and tips for things to try. Thank you Kassie for your encouragement! Jen, your friendship has been a treasure. Thank you for reminding me to listen to my own inspiration. Julie! I had no idea you were here! Thank you so much for commenting and for reminding me that I can influence my children for good, regardless of what I decide. My goodness, I miss you too. Mandy. Thank you for being an inspiration of faith and endurance. And for expressing your belief in my ability to do what's best. Thank you also for putting me in touch with your friend, Jenn. What a source of wisdom she turned out to be. Emily. I love you. Asking me what the Lord said is not trite or condescending, it was wisdom, and love, and I felt that love! Thank you also, so much, for reminding me that there is no such thing as perfection in education (or anywhere else). I really really needed that. Kristiana, thank you so much for understanding the "I can't take this anymore- feeling." Thank you for sharing your struggles with me too, and reminding me that motherhood is just hard, no matter what. Your life and blog have been and continue to be an inspiration to me. Wendy, thanks for being able to compare the homeschool lifestyle with the public school one and telling me what you've found to be the pro's and con's for you and your kids. Your kids are great! Lindsay. I love you and love that I can always count on you to "get down to brass tacks" and tell me how it really is. I appreciate your honesty, and am grateful for it. I'm grateful for your offers of help. Thanks also for your example of keeping a wonderful, orderly home.
We've decided to put the kids in public school. Friday afternoon, I went into the office (James works from home a lot of the time) and asked James for his final opinion. I already knew in my heart what my decision was, though I didn't want to do it. He told me he had been feeling like they needed to go to school. I went immediately to the local elementary school to register them, but no one was at the office. I decided to wander around and get a feel for things. I ran into the two third grade teachers and started talking to them. I knew right away by the feeling of peace that I felt that my kids' education, and my values would be safe there. I left with a feeling of calm and peace and weightlessness that I haven't felt for a long time. My fellow homeschoolers: know that I tried everything that you said! We took breaks, we changed up the routine, we tried to do more of the fun stuff, just stick to the basics...nothing brought us peace or joy as a family. We've been floating along unhappily for far too long. I already feel a million times lighter. It was such a burden to feel undecided and unresolved. We told the kids, and I could see immediately a change, a relief is the best way to describe it. We picked out backpacks...they're thrilled. We know that this is the right decision for our family. We knew when we started to homeschool, that at the time that was also the right decision. I do think there is a reason that we felt the need to homeschool. It may have something to do with the boundary school where we used to live? We just moved in October, so the kids will be attending a different school from the old boundary public school in our old neighborhood. The reason may not be apparent, but I know there was one. Thanks again everyone for your advice and love!
Kristy

9 comments:

Summer said...

Good luck! I'm glad to hear that you are feeling at peace. I'm sure everyone in your family will find a change refreshing and I hope you are able to feel rejuvenated!

Britney said...

Sorry I was late in responding but it's good to hear that you are at peace with your decision. WHEW!

I've thought of you often and wondered how you do homeschooling on top of everything else--WOW! :)

I just wanted to add that even in public school you can be very involved in your kids education. The teachers are always looking for parents willing to help out in the classroom during classtime, the PTA is always wishing for more volunteers and if you don't think your kids are being challenged you can always have them test into the Jordan school district ALPS (accelerated learning program) classes. Plus you can have lots of fun learning activities and crafts on hand for when they are done with school and homework but there won't be any pressure involved. :)

Hang in their Kristy, we're all cheering for you!

A and R said...

Hooray!
I'm so glad you are feeling relief and peace.
I was thinking about you lots too, not knowing what to tell you and hoping you would get answers soon.
Motherhood is so crazy sometimes, ok, most of the time. (;

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you feel at peace. I wish I could have helped you. I do know the overwhelming feeling of trying so hard to get stuff done and feeling like nothing is getting accomplished. We should really talk more so we can be there for each other through our struggles, I know I can always use another woman to share in the day to day motherhood struggles. I really hope you and your kids enjoy public school and that it ends up being a great experience. I wonder if our kids will be in the same class?? I just need to call you. Anyway, I love you!

Jen-ben said...

Yay!!! I'm so glad you came to a decision and feel good about it, that is the best feeling!
Love love love you!

Anonymous said...

This is Robin--your blog, doesn't seem to like letting my comment. Anyway, sorry, I'm a little late to this discussion, but I just wanted to add my two-bits. I love the public school system. It's great. I just do not have the kind of personality and organization skills that would create a successful learning environment at home. Also, having younger children, especially infants at home makes it next to impossible to provide the uninterrupted, one-on-one time that older children need for successful learning. I have had the hardest time just teaching my own kids piano lessons, and that's only one subject! Don't feel guilty for putting them in public school--right now, you need to be free to spend more time on your younger kids and regaining your sanity. Also, it sounds like you've already registered them at your local school, but have you considered a charter school? There are quite a few in the area, especially in Draper, and they each have a slightly different curriculum or teaching method or whatever. For instance, one might offer Latin as a standard course to grade schoolers, or require that all students learn Spanish. Others focus on children whose learning styles might not be compatible with standard public school curriculums, going faster or slower as the student needs. Others focus more on the arts or on math and science...it all depends on the individual school. I know a few people who choose to send their kids to charter schools, and most of them love it. They are publically funded, so they won't cost you more than a regular public school, but you can be a bit more picky about the type of schooling your child receives.

No matter where you choose to send your kids, I firmly belive that the quality of a child's education depends so much on the quality of the teacher. Meet the teachers, talk to them, talk to other parents, be involved in what your kids are doing every day, and if things aren't working out, ask to go with someone else. We had a whole year of school ruined by a bad teacher, and I wish now that I had been more proactive in getting Parley put into another class. But the next year he had an amazing teacher and his whole attitude about school completely changed. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Lindsay said...

Like everyone else - I'm glad you've come to a decision and feel at peace, love ya.

Emily said...

I'm so happy that you found that peace and an answer. I'm happy to hear that everyone was happy with the decision too. That makes a HUGE difference! Isn't it funny how much kids love to pick out backpacks!?! It is one of the highlights of the year for my kids too. Simple pleasures I guess. Overall, happy for you!

Send me your address so I can send you the "Pay it Forward" prize. gremily2@aol.com

wenderful said...

Oh good. I'm glad you made a decision. It sounds like it's the right one. That light feeling is a good indicator.
I agree with Britney. Get involved in the classrooms and with PTA. I teach art in Erik's class every Friday and have gotten to know the kids. Now I know who he's talking about when he comes home from school with stories.
I think I told you that Erik got into the Gifted and Talented program here. We had him tested for ALPS in Utah and he qualified there too, right before we started homeschooling. That's a wonderful suggestion for your kids.
I think you'll enjoy the change. I'm excited for you!!!