Friday, November 09, 2007

Dinner's Back!

As I was putting away my groceries this afternoon, I read this on the grocery bags:
"How to prevent underage drinking:
Buy Groceries
Make Dinner
Eat Together
Studies show children and teens who eat dinner with their families at least five times per week are 35% less likely to use alcohol. To learn more, visit ParentsEmpowered.org"

When I don't cook dinner, I find that our evenings are so disjointed. The kids wander off somewhere, ( I usually feed them kid food on the nights I don't cook, like mac n cheese) bored and lost. James hops on the computer to check and recheck football scores. I guess he figures if there's not going to be any dinner, he's off the hook for hanging out with the family. And me? I'm slinking off into a corner somewhere reading a book, but not enjoying it because I know that sooner or later, one or all of us is going to get hungry and I'm going to have to do something about it. The kids end up staying up later which ends up making me irritable. I usually do cook. I hate it when I don't. So, in honor of dinner, I'm going to post our weekly dinner menu. What's everybody else having for dinner this week? If you've read this post, consider yourself "tagged"! You have to post your dinner plans this week on your blog for me to read! So without further ado, here is our menu for the week. (Drumroll).
Friday: Creamy Chicken Enchiladas
Saturday: Tomato Bisque (I'm bringing it to the ward dinner).
Sunday: Pork Roast, potatoes, and broccoli
Monday: I'm going to try to recreate the Cafe Rio Pork Salad, wish me luck!
Tuesday: Spaghetti, garlic bread, salad
Wednesday: Pork Burritos
Thursday: Barbeque Chicken, cole slaw, biscuits (and no, we're not going to KFC)!
Can you tell pork was on sale for .99 cents/lb?
Well, I'm off to make dinner!
Kristy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can we come to your house for dinner? I agree, family dinner together at home is just better all around. And it's even more motivating when you hear studies like that. I have also heard that children talk to their parents more in homes that have regular family dinner. What more should we need?
I guess I will post my menu on my blog if I ever get all my ducks in a row, it may not be this week though.

Lindsay said...

Again, I loved this post. In fact you have inspired me to add a Menu item on my blog, ya know, for all those people that really want to know what we are having for dinner each week ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kristy! I was glad to see your comment on my blog! It's fun to find out about other people's blogs--it's such a great way to keep in touch and express your thoughts, even when you don't see each other very much. I had heard you were pregnant, but I don't think I realized how far along you were. I hope everything goes well for you...as for dinner plans, over the past couple of days we have had Italian chicken and vegetable soup (homemade--I hate canned soup), polish sausage and sauerkraut sandwiches, denver-omelet-style scrambled eggs (with peppers and ham), and I plan to make pork chops and chicken cordon bleu (really not that hard to make)over the next couple of days. I don't really set a particular schedule, like we will eat this dish on this day, but I do have several dishes planned out. I agree--things just don't seem to go right if you don't all sit down to dinner together.