Friday, November 30, 2007

Carschooling

Don't waste the time you spend in the car. Lately I've been amazed at how much my kids are able to learn while we're out and about. The main way that they've learned is through tapes and CD's.
We've listened to the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder. I can't say enough about these books! What a peek inside the life of a farming family a century ago. You'll have to hear it to believe some of the things they knew how to do. It was a good look at what every day life was really like for average people back then.
We've listened to Egyptian, Greek, and Roman myths and legends and they're fascinating! There is a particular guy who narrates these really well. His name is Jim Weiss. Look for CD's by him in your library's books on tape for children. They're not to be missed!
I ordered a series of CD's about the lives of the great composers. Though not as fascinating and well done as the Jim Weiss series, (I wish he would do some of the composers!) these have certainly been educational and have introduced my kids to the beautiful music and the lives of these interesting men.
Lately we've been listening to the multiplication tables put to music. It's pretty painful to listen to, I must admit. But, maybe it will help them learn their multiplication facts!
I've also seen CD's about the state capitals, and tons of other educational subjects...give it a try!
Oh! And by the way, there is an added perk to listening to stories in the car...the kids fight a lot less!
Happy Homeschooling,
Kristy

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

This is such a great idea! I love the library...to bad Lehi's is so crappy.

Emily said...

I love listening to books on CD in the car because they are so engaged and there is a lot less fighting. It's good to hear that you read all the "Little House" books. I did a report on Laura Ingalls Wilder in college, and read ALL of her books. I've been waiting until the right time to introduce them to my kids. It's good to hear that your little boy liked them. Maybe we'll have to do that next. Thanks so much for all the tips!

Jen-ben said...

Such a good idea!! I'm so going to start doing this!

Anonymous said...

this is a great idea homeschooling or not. Things go much more smoothly in the car when the kids are entertained.