Thursday, October 25, 2007

Simple Pleasures


A tribute to the simple pleasures of life today. Like classic books and knitting to keep me busy when the kids are in bed. It's book club tonight and I'm looking forward to the discussion. Our book this quarter was so good, A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens. Here's a wonderful quote about getting lost in a good book, taken from a book I just finished:
"The minutes and hours glided by as in a dream. When the cathedral bells tolled midnight, I barely heard them. Under the warm light cast by the reading lamp, I was plunged into a new world of images and sensations, peopled by characters who seemed as real to me as my room. Page after page I let the spell of the story and its world take me over, until the breath of dawn touched my window and my tired eyes slid over the last page. I lay in the bluish half-light with the book on my chest and listened to the murmur of the sleeping city. My eyes began to close, but I resisted. I did not want to lose the story's spell or bid farewell to its characters yet." -Carlos Ruiz Zafon The Shadow of the Wind.
Another simple pleasure is being able to hold your baby close and cuddle for a while. This pleasure doesn't come often enough for me, since Mary isn't a cuddler, but she's been sick and so I've been able to just hold her in my arms today. It won't be long until she's kicked out of her baby status by a new sister. How quick the time went. Enjoy your babies!
Until later,
Kristy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great quote. I am not the greatest of readers, but I have had a few books I have felt that way about.
And isn't it nice to have a few things to enjoy for yourself when the kids aren't barking at your heels. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have an outlet for me.

Lindsay said...

love your blog, this is so you. and did i happen to mention i totally admire you? yep, i do. i need to get that song thing going on my blog too, love it.

Fauset Photography said...

I love the blog! I found you through Lindsay...I've often wondered if I could handle homeschooling. So I really appriciate all of your posts! You must be an amAzing Mom!!